Value of oxaliplatin treatment in heavily pretreated patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

Lapo Alinari, Gerardo Musuraca, Monica Tani, Vittorio Stefoni, Annalisa Gabriele, Enrica Marchi, Mariapaola Fina, Antonio de Vivo, Stefano Pileri, Michele Baccarani, Peter Luigi Zinzani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


In order to assess the efficacy and toxicity profile of oxaliplatin, a third generation platinum derivate active against several solid tumors, we carried out a study in a group of heavily pretreated patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Between August 2003 and May 2004, 19 pretreated patients were enrolled in a phase II trial and were treated with oxaliplatin. The drug was administered intravenously on day 1 of a 21-day schedule, at a dose of 130 mg/m2 for a total of 6 cycles. One (5%) patient achieved complete remission (CR) and 5 patients (27%) had partial response (PR), thus giving an overall response rate of 32%. The patient in CR suffered from an aggressive B NHL. One of the 5 patients in PR had an aggressive B NHL, whereas the remaining 4 had an indolent B NHL. The treatment was well tolerated with minimal hematologic and extrahematologic toxicity. These data suggest and confirm the efficacy and low toxicity of oxaliplatin in the treatment of patients with heavily pretreated NHL. Further trials using oxaliplatin alone or in combination with other conventional drugs are needed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1437-1440
Number of pages4
JournalLeukemia and Lymphoma
Issue number10
Publication statusPublished - Oct 2005


  • Chemotherapy
  • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
  • Oxaliplatin
  • Pretreated

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research


Dive into the research topics of 'Value of oxaliplatin treatment in heavily pretreated patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this