Recanalization of chronic total coronary occlusions: The impact of a new specific guidewire on primary success rate

I. Sheiban, A. Dharmadhikari, V. Tzifos, F. Marsico, F. Leonardo, G. Rosano, M. Montorfano, P. Pagnotta, C. Di Mario, A. Colombo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


BACKGROUND: Although chronic total occlusions are encountered frequently in patients with coronary artery disease, an effective strategy to deal with them has yet to be devised. Various new guidewires have been designed in an attempt to negotiate chronic occlusions successfully. The authors have analysed the impact of the Athlete guidewire on procedural success in this lesion subset. METHODS: Sixty-two consecutive patients undergoing percutaneous intervention for chronic total occlusions over a two-year period were retrospectively studied. For the initial attempt, conventional guidewires were used. In case of failure, further attempts were made using the Athlete guidewire. Procedural success rates with the use of conventional and Athlete guidewires were assessed. RESULTS: Failure of the first attempt with the conventional guidewire occurred in 32 (51.6%) patients and success was achieved in 30 (48.4%) patients. In the former patients, a second attempt was made using the Athlete guidewire to cross the occlusion. The second attempt was successful in 20 patients (60%) in whom the first attempt was unsuccessful, while in the remaining 12 (40%) patients the occlusion could not be crossed even during the second attempt and the procedure was then terminated. Following the use of the Athlete guidewire, the success rate increased to 62% (p

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)105-110
Number of pages6
JournalInternational Journal of Cardiovascular Interventions
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 2000


  • Angioplasty
  • Athlete guidewire
  • Chronic total occlusion
  • Joint-free
  • Spring-coil

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging


Dive into the research topics of 'Recanalization of chronic total coronary occlusions: The impact of a new specific guidewire on primary success rate'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this