Phase II study of gemcitabine plus oxaliplatin as first-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer

F. Cappuzzo, S. Novelle, F. De Marinis, V. Franciosi, M. Maur, A. Ceribelli, V. Lorusso, F. Barbieri, L. Castaldini, E. Crucitta, L. Marini, S. Bartolini, G. V. Scagliotti, L. Crino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


This phase II study evaluated the response rate and tolerability of gemcitabine-oxaliplatin chemotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Chemonaive patients with stage HIB or IV NSCLC received gemcitabine 1000 mg m2 on days 1 and 8, followed by oxaliplatin 130 mg m 2 on day 1. Cycles were repeated every 21 days for up to six cycles. From February 2002 to May 2004, 60 patients were enrolled into the study in seven Italian institutions. We observed one complete response (1.7%) and 14 partial responses (23.3%), for an overall response rate of 25.0% (95% confidence interval, 14.7-37.9%). The median duration of response was 5.9 months (range 1.5- 17.1 months). With a median follow-up of 6.7 months, median time to progressive disease and overall survival were 2.7 (range 1.9-3.4 months) and 7.3 months (range 7.2-8.6 months), respectively. The main grade 3-4 haematological toxicities were transient neutropenia in 11.7% and thrombocytopenia in 8.3% of the patients. Nausea/vomiting was the main grade 3-4 nonhaematological toxicity, occurring in 10.0% of the patients. Two (3.3%) patients developed grade 3 neurotoxicity. Our results show that gemcitabine-oxaliplatin chemotherapy is active and well tolerated in patients with advanced NSCLC, deserving further study, especially for patients not eligible to receive cisplatin.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)29-34
Number of pages6
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - Jul 11 2005


  • Chemotherapy
  • Gemcitabine
  • Non-small-cell lung cancer
  • Oxaliplatin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology


Dive into the research topics of 'Phase II study of gemcitabine plus oxaliplatin as first-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this