Nine years' experience with ABMT in 128 patients with Hodgkin's disease: An Italian study group report

A. M. Carella, P. Carlier, A. Congiu, D. Occhini, G. Meloni, A. P. Anselmo, F. Mandelli, P. Mazza, S. Tura, L. Mangoni, V. Rizzoli, P. Fabris, P. Coser, A. Levis, L. Locatelli, L. Resegotti, A. Porcellini, F. Benedetti, E. P. Alessandrino, C. BernasconiR. Cimino, R. Bassan, T. Barbui, I. Majolino, R. Mozzana, G. Lambertenghi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


One-hundred, twenty-eight patients with Hodgkin's disease in remission or who had failed a mechlorethamine, vincristine, procarbazine and prednisone (MOPP), a doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine and dacarbazine (ABVD) and/or lomustine, etoposide and prednimustine (CEP) regimens have been treated with a high-dose therapy (HDT) containing cyclophosphamide, etoposide, carmustine (CVB) and autologous bone marrow transplantation (ABMT). Forty patients were treated while they were in resistant or progressive disease states using alternating MOPP/ABVD protocol; 15 patients received ABMT in first relapse; 51 patients had a complete remission (CR) with first-line therapy but later relapsed and then received conventional salvage therapy; 16 achieved no response or progression ("resistant relapse" patients) and 35 responded partially or completely ("sensitive-relapse" patients). The other 22 patients received ABMT in remission. Following HDT, 56 patients (52.8%) a-chieved CR and 23 patients (21.6%) a-chieved a partial remission for an overall response rate of 74.4%. Sixteen patients failed to respond and died in progressive disease 1 to 10 months (median 6 months) after ABMT. High-dose therapy produced severe toxicity including vomiting (100%), mucositis (75%) and liver enzymes and alkaline phosphatase elevations (51%). There were 10 treatment-related deaths. A multivariate analysis identified poor performance status and resistant-relapse patients as very important adverse risk factors for survival immediately after ABMT. These results, while validating this procedure for inducing remissions in advanced highly-treated patients, at the same time confirm the need of employing this approach in first relapse or in second complete remission after standard therapy and before ABMT or, in first complete remission in very high risk Hodgkin's disease patients. Our experience in 15 very poor prognosis Hodgkin's disease patients transplanted in first CR demostrated to be much significant.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)68-70
Number of pages3
Issue numberSUPPL. 1
Publication statusPublished - 1991

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Hematology


Dive into the research topics of 'Nine years' experience with ABMT in 128 patients with Hodgkin's disease: An Italian study group report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this