Accessi venosi centrali a lungo termine in oncologia. Revisione di una casistica relativa a 750 casi

Translated title of the contribution: Long-term central venous access in oncology - Survey of 750 cases

S. Bertoglio, P. Meszsaros, C. Disomma, L. Moresco, F. Cafiero, M. Gipponi, P. Percivale

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Totally implantable central venous accesses systems are presently widely used in cancer patients. Perioperative and long-term morbidity of 750 consecutive implants performed from 1985 to 1994 were retrospectively reviewed. Our Series consisted in 616 (82.1%). Ports and 134 (17.9%) external tunnelled catheters with subcutaneous Dacron cuff (Hickmann or similar catheters) implanted by percutaneous access route in local anesthesia. Subclavian vein was the elective access route in 700 (93.3%) patients while in the remaining 50 (6.7%) the access was performed in the femoral vein, due to peculiar clinical conditions. One-day surgery was only required for 19 (2.6%) patients while outpatient surgey was the routine in 731 (97.4%) patients. Perioperative morbidity was at all similar both for Port and external catheters Series (p > 0.07). Late morbidity requiring the removal of the device occurred in 27/134 patients (18.7%) and in 40/616 (6.5%) for external catheters and Port Series, respectively (p <0.002). The rate of infection, 2.3% for ports (p <0.002). Patient's compliance was higher for Ports compared to external cathethers. Apart from peculiar clinical conditions such as hemathologic cancers, bone marrow transplantation or short life expectancy, Ports seem to guarantee for a lower morbidity coupled with better long-term results.

Translated title of the contributionLong-term central venous access in oncology - Survey of 750 cases
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)427-431
Number of pages5
JournalMinerva Chirurgica
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Jun 1996

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery


Dive into the research topics of 'Long-term central venous access in oncology - Survey of 750 cases'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this