Incidence and management of abdominal closure-related complications in adult intestinal transplantation

Chiara Zanfi, Matteo Cescon, Augusto Lauro, Alessandro Dazzi, Giorgio Ercolani, Gian Luca Grazi, Massimo Del Gaudio, Matteo Ravaioli, Alessandro Cucchetti, Giuliano La Barba, Matteo Zanello, Riccardo Cipriani, Antonio Daniele Pinna

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


BACKGROUND.: We sought to determine the best strategy to overcome difficult abdominal wall closures in intestinal transplantation (ITx). METHODS.: Among 38 adult recipients of 39 ITxs from deceased donors, the median number of previous laparotomies was 2.0 per patient, with a median donor-to-recipient body weight ratio of 1.1. Eight patients (21%) had full residual intestinal length before transplant. Abdominal wall closure after transplant was considered difficult in 15 (39.5%) patients (group A). To overcome size mismatching, we performed two graft reductions, five skin-only closures, one two-step abdominal wall closure, four prosthetic mesh closures, and three abdominal wall transplants. In the remaining 23 (60.5%) patients, a regular abdominal closure was performed (group B). RESULTS.: Twelve patients (32%) experienced complications related to abdominal wall closure, 10 (67%) in group A and 2 (8.7%) in group B (P

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1607-1609
Number of pages3
Issue number11
Publication statusPublished - Jun 15 2008


  • Abdominal wall transplant
  • Donor-to-recipient body weight ratio
  • Intestinal transplant

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Transplantation
  • Immunology


Dive into the research topics of 'Incidence and management of abdominal closure-related complications in adult intestinal transplantation'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this